Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Springfield Divorce Attorneys > Springfield Parenting Plan & Child Support Modification Attorney

Springfield Parenting Plan & Child Support Modification Attorney

At the time of a divorce, parents with shared children must come to an agreement about how custody of their children will be shared and what the child support obligations of each parent will be. This agreement is enforced through a court order.

While the order that’s issued may make sense at the time of the divorce, situations and circumstances can change over time and, down the road, what was sensible once may no longer be so. If you need to change or modify your existing parent plan or/and child support order, our experienced Springfield parenting plan & child support modification attorneys at Courtney & Mills, LLC can help.

When Can You Modify a Parenting Plan or Child Support Order?

If you want to modify your parenting plan or your child support order, you should start by talking to your ex-spouse. If you and your ex both agree that the modification is appropriate, you can file a petition with the court together. If you are both in agreement about the modification, then the process is easy and it is very likely to be approved.

If you are not in agreement about the modification, though, the process is more complex. You will need to prove to the court that you have valid grounds for seeking the modification. If you are requesting a modification of a child support order, you will need to prove that a significant change in circumstances has occurred and that the change justifies the need for a modification. Circumstances that may warrant a modification of a support order include one parent losing their job or suffering an injury that prevents them from working, a change in child custody, etc.

Similarly, if you are trying to change your parenting plan and the change is not agreed upon, you will need to present evidence to the court that the change is required. For example, if you have a new job that requires you to work certain hours that conflict with your parenting time, this may be a valid cause for a modification.

How an Attorney Can Help

If you want to modify your parenting plan or your child support order, it’s recommended that you work with an attorney who can aid you in the process. Your attorney will help you to understand when a change will likely be allowed (and when it won’t be), offer you tips and guidance for talking to your ex, aid you in filing your petition for modification, represent you during the court process, help you to gather evidence to support your case, and more.

Call Our Springfield Family Law Attorneys Today

Family law matters, especially those involving children, are complicated. If you need to modify an existing court order, we can help. For the legal support and guidance that you need, please call our Springfield family law attorneys at Courtney & Mills, LLC directly. We are here to advocate for you.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn